Sunday, March 01, 2009

Napa Valley – Robert Mondavi Winery Part II

Having gone through the whole rigmarole of learning how to cultivate good grapes and then how to extract their juice and make wine, it was finally time to taste some wine.

As we walked back from the winery to the tasting room i came across some cool art work on the wall giving this relative modern establishment a rustic look.

IMG_0187 IMG_0188

Now came the moment I dreaded most, tasting wine.  I have never had the pallet to taste good wine, I usually settle for the generic beer or some Jack and Coke. This was an interesting experience. What I learnt most of it all was the Wine tasting was no different from tasting tea. Big difference is that tasting tea does not give you a buzz ;).

IMG_0189 

The most interesting part of this all to me was the difference the glass made. Yes believe it or not I could actually tell. So the guy pours wine into a regular looking round wine goblet and we go through the motions of swishing it around smelling the wine and tasting, I was not impressed.  The he brings out a goblet which is allot wider than what he had given us earlier and he says try this,  Like the glass was going to make a difference.  BOY was I pleasantly surprised.  It did make a difference and it tasted allot better.  Then came the story of how Riedel came into Napa valley and pitched their glasses to Robert and the rest made history as usual.

This was one of the better experiences I’ve had in a long time, any trip out with my wife is fun in general, but this one was unique in the perspective that I learnt a bit about wine making but most importantly reiterated the fact that we as human beings have this innate ability to dream and realize them, admits all hard ships. Robert Mondavi was just one more example to drive the fact home, a visionary who redefined the art of wine making.

The next time you are around San Francisco I’d strongly recommend you take a trip up to Napa Valley and check out the Robert Mondavi winery. 

IMG_0132

Over and Out, Raj

No comments:

Post a Comment

NW Trek – Photographing animals a whole new experience

Like most organized events (ok you got me, none were this well organized), this one started as an interesting email thread by a fellow softi...